Saturday, July 4, 2009

Three Stars in Steven Ma's Perspective

Steven Ma is TVB's 'own child'. It all started in 1993 when he first entered the entertainment industry. It is obvious that he was a TVB contracted artiste. TVB gives him chances in every series he films. Sixteen years...each step and each footprint is not easy to obtain the position of being male lead. From 2005 and on, TVB became Steven's manager. TVB raised Steven, and this \own child' is still receiving strict training from TVB. TVB can definitely 'promote talented people' as representative characters.

"If you say that I have improved in my acting, then I really have to thank Catherine Tsang. All of these years, she would point out my flaws and criticize them. I respect her very much. Every time I see her is like a student seeing a teacher. It is respect that comes from the heart". No one can calculate the future, but Steven expresses his aspiration honestly: "When I look back and think of my TVB friends and colleagues, Catherine will definitely be my most missed elder benefactor. Also, I'm very thankful to Lee Tim Sing. On my acting journey, he is my teacher".

好艷福 Does Not Mind Assisting Newcomers

In recent years, TVB has been confident in Steven's 'in house' image. The series that he has been male leads in have received positive feedback and stable rating points. Lee Tim Sing insisted on using Steven to be the male lead and Tavia Yeung to be the female lead in "Sweetness in the Salt". All of the other younger candidates used in the series are less experienced actors.

TVB's three promoted fa dans, Tavia Yeung, Linda Chung, and Fala Chen, have taken turns in being Steven's partner in series.

"All of my colleagues laugh at me saying that I'm lucky because I get to pair up with pretty girls in every series!" He's so lucky; no wonder Steven does not mind being referred to 'assisting newcomers'. "If the company thinks that I have this ability, then I feel really honoured".

Tavia Yeung Using Ten Years to Become Polished Diamond

steven_tavia

When talking to Steven about his 'fate' with Tavia, Linda and Fala, he finds it very weird. "The love story that I have with Tavia is usually full of troubled twists and turns. And Linda is always my wife. Fala has played my little sister in a couple of series. That is why she calls me 'older brother' so easily".

Steven sees the three beautiful fa dans as 'TVB's Three Gems'. "The three of them have their own characteristics. Tavia's acting is mature, and her outer appearance is good. She is very hardworking and very 捱得. She loves the characters that she plays, and she gets into her character's emotion very easily".

Lee Kwok Lun has also praised Steven and Tavia's acting having fire. Steven and Tavia's acting has made Lee Kwok Lun's acting easier to get into character. "That is true! Tavia is already glowing. After ten years in the making, she is becoming a diamond".

Linda Chung's Chaste and Grace Have Never Changed

steven_linda

Linda worked with Steven when she first entered TVB. The Linda back then was simple and naive. In the days of working together, Steven is able to talk heart-to-heart with Linda. He also encourages her and gives her pointers on how to improve in her acting. Steven also tells Linda not be submerged by the fame and fortune. "A few years later, I again worked with her in a few series, such as, 'A Journey Called Life', 'Pu Song Ling', etc. I think she is the same as before. Her chaste and grace come from inside. She has never changed, but her Chinese has improved. She has great performing potential, and she has many talents still to be discovered". In Steven's eyes, Linda is strong, friendly, and insistent. She is not what the audience sees her as just a little girl. "Her thinking is very simple; it's just that her workload is too heavy lately, and it affects her health. If her work schedule is arranged a bit better and if she rests a bit more, her performance can be better".

Fala Chen: Beautiful, Clever, and Loves to Act

steven_fala

Fala has a pair of big dark eyes. When her eyes move, her innermost feelings are revealed. "For an actor, the window of the soul can definitely captivate the audience. This is Fala's winning trait. Also, she is very straightforward, and she will not hide her thoughts".

Every person has his or her own personality, and people who are familiar with Steven will know that he is a typical Chaozhou man whose speech is gruff and direct. Sometimes, his speech can instantly hurt a friendship if one cannot bear it.

Did Steven scare the three beauties when working with them? "The three of them and I get along very happily. They are willing to communicate honestly with me when filming together. If opinions arise, then they are directly expressed because they trust me. They believe that the opinions I raise are not aiming directly at them, but it is good for them. And they do accept this type of method of expressing opinions".

Not Being Selfish When Acting and Learning the Term 'Good for Everybody'

Steven admits that learning how to communicate with his partners well is all thanks to the pointers from the veteran actors. "Kent Cheng, Wayne Lai, Ram Chiang, Lee Kwok Lun, Kara Hui, etc. have all taught me before. Other than acting, they also taught me that acting cannot be selfish, and I cannot just think about myself and always think about defeating my opponent. However, it has to be good for everybody".

With the concept of 'good for everybody', Steven cherishes every scene with his partners. "Actually, I am still studying the art of acting. I still hope for veterans to teach and assist me. Thus, working with the three fa dans should be called 'working together' and not 'assisting newcomers'. However, seeing hard work and improvements, I can definitely say that they will have great achievements in the future. And I am not lying about it".

Personal Note: Many people didn't know that Steven signed under TVB management in 2005. As a matter of fact, he and Yoyo Mung signed near the same time.

Also, when Steven was in Toronto (July 1st), he said that he is not filming with Sonija.

*Credits to mingpao

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for translating hyn5! :) I saw this article and only read Linda's part. Haha. Nice to read the rest of the article too. :D Steven is so nice! Really enjoyed reading this.

    Agree with Steven, TVB should spread out Linda's work schedule better. She's been suffering from insomnia for several months now. :( This is the 2nd time Steven has spoken out for her. He really looks after her and teaches her and treats her so well! Such a great "big brother"!

    By the way, in the part about Lee Tim Sing, I don't know if you forgot to include it in your translation, but in the original article they wrote that it was talking about the filming for Sweetness in the Salt. That part is a bit confusing to me since the role was originally Linda's but she turned it down due to filming Forensic Heroes II and The Gem of Life and wanting a vacation afterwards. *Shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I forgot to put the title of "Sweetness in the Salt" in there. Oops! Thanks, Metal.

    The Mingpao article did say that Lee Tim Sing insisted on using Steven and Tavia. However, I did read an article back then that TVB wanted Annie Liu or Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I find it very hard to translate articles from Chinese to English. Some sentences are better left in Chinese. That is why I don't sometimes leave it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for translating this hyn5!
    I didn't notice what Steven said, until I read your post.
    It is true.. he always has the same relationships with the same people. Which is not bad of course, but he's so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see Steven pair up with different female artistes rather than Tavia, Linda, Fala, and Bernice. :D

    ReplyDelete