Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Kenneth Ma: I Support the Herbivorous Guy

CREDIT IF REPOSTED

maming01maming02

While Kenneth Ma was posing with a grass-like prop, he put on many funny expressions; however, having him bite on it was more interesting.

He already related this to himself, as he loudly shouted, "I am not a herbivorous guy! At most, I am only half!"

Actually, I just wanted to point out that he is a 'great catch' (名草), as every female artiste praises him as being a good guy.

However, he does indeed have the quality of a herbivorous guy. The term 'herbivorous guy' came from a Japanese writer. The term is very popular on the web. It is used to describe guys who have no worries about life, making them develop a passive personality; thus, they would rather choose a 'vegetarian' lifestyle than to take the initiative to find a partner. There are many herbivorous guys; therefore, girls must be the ones to take the initiative. Those girls who actively pursue love have been termed 'carnivorous girls'.

Kenneth has had a few rumours, but have you ever heard of him being the one who took the initiative?

"I have never pursued a girl before; instead, it has been the girl who felt my intentions and returned a signal".

The 'vegetarian' Kenneth laughingly said, "I'm not in the mood to pamper a girl. I am a boring boyfriend, but I am definitely a good husband. I also welcome girls to pursue me".

Carnivorous girls, bring it on!

maming03

Wants to Be Benz Hui

Kenneth is a punctual artiste. That day, he arrived over ten minutes early by himself, and he did not tell me to meet him at the lobby. Instead, he found his way to the studio. He is not arrogant at all. However, some veterans think that this friendliness is not reflective of a superstar.

"They have good intentions; however, I never thought of becoming a superstar. My goal has always been to become Benz Hui or Wayne Lai--these types of talented actors. Back then, others would say that I'm not ambitious enough; however, ever since Wayne played Chai Gau, no one has said that anymore".

Kenneth's simplicity is very rare, just like how he does not go for new styles when buying a cell phone. "Recently, I started using the cell phone that big brother (Kevin Cheng) gave me. It has the additional function of taking pictures. My previous phone only cost $300--black and white screen--and you could only make calls and text. I used it for a few years. One time, I dropped it on the floor, and it broke apart; after putting it back together, I was able to use it again". He studied mechanical engineering in university, so he is practical.

In reality, although he has a $300,000 seven-passenger SUV, he still takes the MTR for the sake of convenience and time management. Sometimes, while taking the MTR, he would be very engrossed in his scripts. One time, a passenger said to him, "Wow! Became crazy from acting so much!" He acted as if nothing had happened, as he was focused on doing his homework.

maming04
His latest rumoured girlfriend is Selena Li. Kenneth highly praises her as having an optimistic personality and as being the best onscreen partner.

maming05
Last year, this magazine captured Kenneth driving Nancy Wu. However, their rumours have come to an end.

maming06
Kenneth was once rumoured with Margie Tsang. When it comes to love, Kenneth thinks that age is not a problem.

Joint Account

As a promoted siu sang, it is difficult to adhere to yourself when there is fame and wealth in the industry; however, he has this tolerance.

"My lifestyle never changed. I like staying at home the most. When I'm not working, I watch DVDs, listen to music, and go online. I can do this without going out for a few days".

He and his parents and sisters live together in an over 900 square feet flat in Tai Koo Shing. "I'm not a mama's boy. I support this family. I enjoy taking care of my family. I still walk arm-in-arm with my mom. My dad is a retiree, and I do not think that my sisters should be responsible for taking care of this household, so I am responsible for the majority of the family expenses".

He and his mom have a joint account. "I don't have any investments because I am afraid that it would not be secure. Even Lehman went out of business, so all I have are my savings. I hope to have a bigger place in the future. If anything were to happen, there would still be something to fall on; however, it's difficult to get one now!"

He says that affection between family members is the most important. After getting married, he will definitely live with his parents. "My parents are known for being easy to get along with. If I cannot have a life with them, it will most likely be the girl's problem. If you get married, you can get divorced, but it is not easy for parents to lose contact with their children. Your family members are the people you can rely on the most".

Family members are greater than the sky. Kenneth feels that love is not really important. "I would not take the initiative to pursue love. It would be great to find someone I'm compatible with, but it doesn't matter if I don't. I get along fine by myself".

However, doesn't he have rumours from time to time? Previously, it was Margie and Nancy. The most recent is Selena.

"All I can say is that we are also good friends. Selena is the funniest. She said, 'I'm rumoured with you?!' I said, 'I embarrass you?' Having rumours has its benefits, as more people will look for you to do jobs, and the price for rumoured couples is higher. Also, if I were to date, I would not announce it. It's too annoying. I'll announce it when I get married".

Slap in the Face

What is rare is that his fate with women is good. Nancy and Selena both highly praise him as being a good guy. "I am good. I love my family, but I'm boring! My dating activities only include watching movies and eating dinner. In my lifetime, I have only given flowers once; it was for my first love when I was 20. I don't have the time or the mood to do that now. The girl must accept the fact that I'm not romantic in order for us to be together".

Kenneth hopes for his girlfriend to be independent, to be trusting of him, and to have similar values. He will not tolerate bad-tempered girls. "When I see girls throwing a tantrum, I just want to slap them hard in the face. This is not just for my girlfriend. Sometimes when a female co-star throws a tantrum, I also cannot stand it".

He hates it most when his girlfriend does not trust him. "There was a time when I went out of town with a friend to watch a soccer match. My girlfriend at the time was familiar with my friend, but she was doubtful of me. If she doesn't believe it, she can call and ask others about [my whereabouts]. Don't frame me!"

He is also afraid of people nagging him. "Asking the same question over and over again. My mom is older, so I tolerate it. However, you're young, so you don't have to ask over and over again. I am very afraid of people annoying me".

Listen, if you think that he is discontent with his ex, you're wrong! "At least the girls I know are not materialistic; otherwise, they would not choose me. I don't have that financial ability".

At 36 years old, Kenneth understands himself clearly, so girls with 'Princess Syndrome' have no chance!

maming07
When seeing girls throw a tantrum, I want to slap them hard in the face.

Mr. Congeniality

Aside from family, the fact that he is very career-oriented is also a reason why he views love lightly. "To be able to do something I love, I don't have to ask others for my everyday happiness".

When he was in school, he was already a drama student. However, the reason why he entered the entertainment industry was because he encountered the economic crisis when he returned from Canada over ten years ago; the 60 to 70 résumé he sent out were useless. Then, he remembered that he still had an interest in acting, and the only callback he received was from TVB's Acting Class with a monthly salary of over $4000, which his parents perceived to be better than staying at home.

In his first few years in TVB, he played passersby who were responsible for walking and standing. However, there was a time when he played a cockroach in Dayo Wong's MV for "Blue Sky"; he was slightly stunned. "It was not until I arrived that I knew that my face would not be shown. There were no hard feelings, but I left thinking why it was like this".

maming08
The girls I know are not materialistic; otherwise, they would not choose me.

In this industry, apart from being hardworking, he thinks that having good relations with a wide network of people is the most important. "In the past, when people suddenly did not show up for work, the production assistants would call to ask me if I was able to work and help out. The next time, they might give me additional dialogue as compensation".

Although he is a lead now, he is still friendly, as he is able to become good friends with the troublesome Kevin Cheng. "In this industry, there's no such thing as deep friendships or not. However, every time I film a series, I hope to become friends with my co-stars and become Mr. Congeniality. Then the chemistry will be better; the audience can tell". Siu sangs in the same industry are like enemies; competitors can also become friends?

"Perhaps I am not a threat! Although I have become a leading man, I am not very stubborn about being the first or second male lead, as you can fall back at any time. For siu sangs whose position is not yet steady, you can attack or defend. For first-line leading actors whose position is steady, choosing the scripts is the most difficult".

To be able to attack or to defend, they are not only positions, but also a state of mind. Those who are anxious or particular about petty details are unable to achieve it. Kenneth loves to play soccer. His position is a midfielder or a forward; this is also the best position for his career.

maming09
While filming "The Mysteries of Love", Kenneth looked for a player in his group of friends to imitate. His scenes with Bernice Liu are also refreshing.

Parable of the Pencil

The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside, just before putting him into the box. There are five things you need to know, he told the pencil, before I send you out into the world. Always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best pencil you can be.

One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in Someone's hand.

Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, but you'll need it to become a better pencil.

Three: You will be able to correct mistakes you will make.

Four: The most important part of you will always be what's inside.

And Five: On every surface you are used on, you must leave your mark. No matter what the condition, you must continue to write.

The pencil understood and promised to remember, and went into the box with purpose in its heart.

Kenneth likes this story. He says that you must be engrossed in what you love. The process may be painful, and the outcome may not be perfect, but at least you fulfilled your dreams. That is the ideal life.

maming10

Personal Note: He he.... Nancy also said that she won't reveal her partner until she gets married. ;)

Selena was so funny in her reaction toward her rumours with Ma Ming. :D

I laughed again when he said that he wants to 大巴大巴車過去 when he sees girls throwing a tantrum.

I liked the pencil story, too! It's a positive way to see things. :)

*Credits to eastweek and inspirationalprayersource

2 comments:

  1. haha that story about the pencil gave me a new insight! I'm so glad I read it and go Kenneth for idolizing Wayne and Benz! :D Thanks for translating this piece of news...I'm becoming more of a Kenneth fan than *gasp* raymond's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To missjade09:

    He he.... I, too liked the pencil story. :)

    I'm happy that more audience is noticing Ma Ming more now. ;)

    ReplyDelete